No Weight Change Detected and Possible Setup Issue
We know it’s frustrating to see “no weight change detected” when you expect to see a weight gain! If your unit has identified that you may have a setup issue the first step is to check your overall setup. If you do have a setup issue it can be impacting all of your weights, so please follow the below steps before continuing to use the Smart Changing Pad.
The first step is to check your setup:
- Make sure that the Smart Changing Pad is on a flat, hard, level surface (a solid wood table or dresser is great).
- Ensure the Smart Changing Pad is NOT touching anything like the wall, rails of your changing table or a pack of wipes.
- If using the seatbelt, make sure the belt is flat against the bottom of the pad AND buckled over the pad (any twists in the seatbelt or loose ends hanging down will compromise scale performance). The seatbelt is a common offender - we recommend taking it off temporarily for testing.
Test your perfected setup:
- Grab a heavy book or a filled water bottle (make sure it's at least a few pounds).
- Weigh it 3 times in a row using the weight function.
- Contact email@example.com and we will review your diagnostics to ensure your Smart Changing Pad is weighing appropriately.
Here is a short video we made to demonstrate the "book test"
Other reasons you may see “no weight change detected.” Sometimes even with a perfect setup you can still get this message. Here are some common occurrences:
- Elapsed Time
To precisely measure a feeding a baby must be weighed immediately before nursing and then immediately after nursing to reflect the amount of milk consumed. If your baby took a little nap or you got busy doing something else, the pre and post weights will not be the most precise and could even show no weight gained. Try weighing again on the next feeding cycle.
- Change in “State” of Baby
Spit up? Blow out? New outfit or blanket on baby? All of these things will cause weight changes that are not reflective of how much baby ate. Make sure your baby is in the same garments for the pre and post feeding weights.
- Change on Smart Changing Pad
If something changed about your Smart Changing Pad between weights you may not be able to compare pre and post feeding measurements. Adding or removing a blanket/burp cloth, moving the scale or even bumping into the scale can cause a change in the Smart Changing Pad. If something did change, celebrate feeding your baby and wait to weigh until the next round.
Many breastfed babies “comfort nurse,” also known as non-nutritive suckling, which may explain why no change in weight is detected. Comfort nursing is a common way for breastfed babies to soothe themselves.
If you have any concerns about your baby’s weight or how much they are eating, please contact your pediatrician.